(1) Fill the jug (4 ounces).
(2) Tilt the bottle as far as possible without allowing any of its circular base to rise above the vinegar surface.
(3) Note the furthest point from the base that the vinegar reaches on the curve of the bottle. (Hold your finger on this point).
(4) Return the bottle to the vertical while maintaining finger position.
(5) Pour from the jug until the level in the bottle reaches the finger.
(6) Bottle now holds 2 ounces.
(7) Repeat steps (2) through (5)
(8) Bottle now holds 4 ounces.
(9) Jug contains the required ounce of vinegar.
Back to puzzle page